Amid hurricane season, you need to make sure you and your family are prepared. The best time to prepare for a hurricane is before one occurs. Creating a hurricane box is a great way to ensure you have what you need in an emergency. Read on for our best tips on what you need to create your emergency hurricane box.
Hurricane Box Preparation
Many may start to panic once a hurricane warning is issued and rush to the stores en masse to get supplies. Do not wait until a threat is looming to start your hurricane box. Instead, start building it as soon as possible. This will allow you to gather all the supplies you need without the possibility of stores being out of stock of items or having things be hard to find. Here are some must-haves for your hurricane box:
- Water – A gallon of water per day for each person is recommended. You should prepare for at least three days’ worth, just in case. If you find yourself in an emergency without resources, you can use the water for both hydration and sanitation.
- Food – You should store three days’ worth of non-perishable food in your hurricane box. Be sure to include anything else you may need to prepare food without electricity. Things like a can opener, utensils and paper plates, bowls, towels, and cups may come in handy.
- Flashlights – Flashlights, including extra batteries, will be helpful if you find yourself without power. Be sure that the flashlights are in good working order before you put them in your hurricane box, and it would be a good idea to pack more than one.
- First Aid Kit – A basic first aid kit should include the following items:
- Non-prescription painkillers,
- Various sizes of bandages,
- A thermometer,
- Anti-itch or rash cream,
- Cleansing wipes, and
These items can be essential in an emergency and are good to have on hand.
- Personal Essentials – You can pack essential items such as infant formula, diapers, wipes, and sanitary products beforehand. Other items you may need to use daily can be packed later, such as prescription medication and glasses. Just be sure you remember to add them to your hurricane box when you take shelter.
- Pet Essentials – Do not forget to include any essentials you need for your pets in your hurricane box, either. Your furry friends will need pet food, any medications, and extra water in an emergency.
- Personal Documents – We also recommend packing a copy of any personal documents that you may need. Examples may include your insurance policies, bank account information, or identification cards. It would also be a good idea to place them in a waterproof container to keep them dry.
Hurricanes can be devastating if you are unprepared. The best way to ensure you have everything you need is to create a hurricane box in advance of any hurricane warnings. Use our tips on what to pack, and you should never find yourself without the essentials!
How Do I Learn More?
For more information on how to ensure you are covered if a hurricane strikes, contact the experts at IronRock Insurance. We are ready and willing to answer any questions you may have and help you prepare for hurricane season.